Richland County’s Register of Deeds Office will reopen by appointment only beginning Monday, June 15.
In addition to making appointments, members of the public are strongly encouraged to wear face masks to conduct business at the office.
The office will be open to individuals with appointments to allow people to complete necessary searches and copy documents. No one will be allowed to enter without an appointment. Appointments are available weekdays during three time intervals: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m., noon-1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
No more than six visitors will be allowed in the research area at the same time. Workstations in that area will be spaced 8 feet apart, allowing visitors to maintain the 6-foot space requirement for social distancing.
To help protect the health of the public and employees, the office also will implement several measures:
- Office staff must wear face masks.
- Visitors to the office are asked to wear face coverings.
- Members of the public can request a face mask to wear during their appointments.
“There is rapidly growing medical evidence that the use of face masks along with social distancing can greatly reduce the transmission of the COVID-19 virus in public spaces ... We must all commit to wearing face masks in public spaces — if we all wear them, we’ll all be protected,” a joint news release stated.
In addition to the use of face coverings, the following will be in place at the Register of Deeds Office:
- Staff workstations will be secured away from the research area.
- Individuals who need to record and drop off physical documents will be directed to use the drop box in the Judicial Center lobby at 1701 Main St.
- Individuals using the workstations may retrieve or copy documents at no cost.
After contacting the Register of Deeds, a person will receive an email that lists the COVID-19 protocols in place. Before coming to the office, the individual must reply to the email confirming understanding of the protocols and agreement to follow the protocols.
To make an appointment, contact the Register of Deeds at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Anyone who has difficulties making an appointment by email should contact the appointment scheduler at 803-587-9693.)